about me...

I am a Junior at the University of South Alabama. I spent my first two years of college at Faulkner State Community College. I am currently in the College of Education at South Alabama. I aspire to become a Physical Education Teacher, along with becoming a High School Basketball Coach. Coaching is something I have always wanted to pursue, and I have always felt it is my calling. Coaching is very much like teaching, except the bonds formed with your players are stronger, and coaching is a bit more vocal.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Dreams of Teaching

I didn't always want to be a teacher. I wanted to a professional basketball player, a police officer, an astronaut, and any other occupation kids dreams about. I didn't even dream of teaching until I was a Junior in high school. My Junior year I transferred to Escambia Academy where I met to great coaches, Heath Gibson and Kevin Woods. Coach Gibson was my football coach. He taught me how to be a leader and how to lead both vocally and by example. He also taught me that nothing is handed to anyone and you must work for everything you get. Coach Woods was my basketball coach. He taught me about being disciplined, perseverance, and teamwork. He didn't base our playing time on ability, but what you did with your ability. After I graduated, I had a few offers to play NCAA Division 3 football but I turned down both offers because they were both far away from home. I tried to find local colleges where I could make the basketball team, but I never made a team. I knew I had what it took mentally took see what was happening on the court, but I didn't have the ability physically to execute that plan. That is when I knew I wanted to be a coach and a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment