about me...

I am a Junior at the University of South Alabama. I spent my first two years of college at Faulkner State Community College. I am currently in the College of Education at South Alabama. I aspire to become a Physical Education Teacher, along with becoming a High School Basketball Coach. Coaching is something I have always wanted to pursue, and I have always felt it is my calling. Coaching is very much like teaching, except the bonds formed with your players are stronger, and coaching is a bit more vocal.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Winning Is Not Everything

I love to win. I love everything about winning. I love seeing hard work pay off. I love seeing the smiles on my player's faces. But winning is not everything. There are reasons why my players and future players are called student athletes. Students come first and so does their education. A good education will last anyone much longer than superior athletic ability. High school athletes face some of the biggest challenges of any student. They go to school, then practice for several hours, then they play games both at home and on the road which cause them to get in late at night, and then they still have to study and do homework. It's not easy for them, and I will not make it easier on them. I will not do like some schools have been known to do, and just feed them the answer, because that cheats the both of us. I will hold a study group before or after practices to make sure my student athletes get the extra help they need to try to take some of the pressure of high school off of them. I don't want to be mistaken, I want to win, but I'd rather be certain that all my players graduate at the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment